Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ancient forests

Since I've got some posts coming up in this area that I think you'll all like but content is currently a little stilted due to my travel schedule I thought I'd put this index online now as a bit of a placeholder. In the near future I'm gonna drop some posts on (among other things) fossil trees and their descendants, ornamental sequoia and redwood cultivars, coastal redwoods in habitat monkey-puzzles out of habitat and some tropical trees of ancient stock. Whilst you're perusing the classic E, W & W below - I'll be outside in the sub-tropical sun(!) looking for apex predators to photograph for you.........

Dawn Redwoods - Metasequoia glyptostroboides

Boston Common Metasequoia
Arnold Arboretum Grove

Maidenhair Tree - Gingko biloba
Gingko biloba I
Gingko biloba II (oldest British specimen)

Magnolias
Magnolia alba var veitchii
Magnolia macrophylla
Magnolia soulangeana
Magnolia stellata
Magnolia [unknown yellow hybrid]

Giant Sequoia - Sequoiadendron giganteum
The Sentinel Tree (Giant Forest Grove)
The Lincoln Tree (Giant Forest Grove - 5th largest)
The President Tree (Giant Forest Grove - 4th largest)
General Grant (Grant Grove - 2nd largest)
General Sherman (Giant Forest Grove - largest)
California Tree (Grant Grove)
Robert E. Lee Tree (Grant Grove)
The Senate (Giant Forest Grove)
The House (Giant Forest Grove)

Monkey puzzle (Araucaria araucana) and other Araucaria
Monkey Puzzle I
Monkey Puzzle II


Wollemia nobilis
The Wollemi Pine

Other ancient conifers
Taxodium distichium I
Cunninghamia lancelota
Cryptomeria japonica
Podocarpus salignus

No comments: