Sunday, August 31, 2008

food meme

I found this food meme over at Hawk Owl's Nest and just had to participate - you cut and paste the list and bold the stuff you've had. Its interesting that I've missed most of the really obvious american stuff I'm sure everyone else has tried! I've added the odd comment in brackets by way of explanation and elaboration.

Venison (I wish more people would try it and get past the bambi factor - venison's original meaning included wild boar as well as deer, which is even more delicious for me)
Nettle tea (nettle beer but not tea)
Huevos rancheros
Steak tartare
Crocodile (don't ask)
Black pudding
Cheese fondue
Carp (couldn't look the koi in the eyes again if I did!)
Borscht
Baba ghanoush
Calamari
Pho
PB&J sandwich
Aloo gobi (the first full meal I ever made included Aloo gobi - FACT!)
Hot dog from a street cart
Epoisses
Black truffle
Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (elderflower champagne I assume counts)
Steamed pork buns
Pistachio ice cream
Heirloom tomatoes
Fresh wild berries
Foie gras
Rice and beans
Brawn
Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
Dulce de leche
Oysters
Baklava
Bagna cauda
Wasabi peas
Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
Salted lassi
Sauerkraut
Root beer float
Cognac with a fat cigar
Clotted cream tea
Vodka jelly/Jell-O
Gumbo
Oxtail
Curried goat (had some friday - it being the local delicacy although in the UK it is usually just "curry goat" (and it usually looks like someone has attacked a ribcage with a claw hammer whilst tasting delicious))
Whole insects
Phaal
Goat's milk
Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
Fugu
Chicken tikka masala (of course - I'm british!)
Eel
Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
Sea urchin (eaten alive on the back of a filipino dive boat - not wonderful - tasted like a mix of salted gravel and egg white)
Prickly pear
Umeboshi
Abalone
Paneer
McDonald's Big Mac Meal (but I haven't touched one for 6 years since I went cold turkey on the clown's vile fare)
Spaetzle
Dirty gin martini
Beer above 8%
Poutine
Carob chips
S'mores
Sweetbreads
Kaolin (isn't that a type of clay?)
Currywurst
Durian (without doubt the most disgusting tasting food I've ever eaten - if you get the chance you must try it!)
Frogs' legs
Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
Haggis
Fried plantain
Chitterlings or andouillette
Gazpacho
Caviar and blini
Louche absinthe
Gjetost or brunost
Roadkill
Baijiu
Hostess Fruit Pie
Snail
Lapsang souchong (this stuff smells like beef jerky)
Bellini
Tom yum
Eggs Benedict
Pocky
Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
Kobe beef
Hare (not sure how I missed this)
Goulash
Flowers
Horse
Criollo chocolate
Spam
Soft shell crab
Rose harissa
Catfish
Mole poblano
Bagel and lox
Lobster Thermidor
Polenta
Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Snake

Feel free to participate in a safe, tag-pressurefree environment.

3 comments:

Patrick B. said...

We need to get you here to the US for some penaut butter and jelly, among other things on thaqt list! You bring the curried goat, I'll supply the Hostess fruit pie.

tai haku said...

Ha! I'm up in Boston Ma, briefly next month - perhaps I could get some US food ticks whilst there!

Julia said...

I lived in the US for a year and managed to avoid PBJ sandwiches. They sound revolting.

Bambi on the other hand is yummy. So is Thumper.