Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Horny sharks redux

Crested Horn Sharks (Heterodontus galeatus) are closely related to Port Jackson Sharks (of shark orgy post fame) and share the same waters.



crestedhornshark2




This is a full body of the CHS - as you can see it has muted patterning and its horns/brow ridges are short, stubby and end abruptly. This was the first shark I saw on my trip to Aus and it was only when I saw a few more PJs during the dive that it became obvious shark 1 was in fact something different. Had I known a) I wouldn't see any more cresties or b) it was a crestie at the time I'd have taken better photos.

Here's a head shot of both to better illustrate the difference (PJS on top, CHS at bottom).


PortJackson-head






crestedhornshark1




I think this is a great example of why its worth doing a bit of research before diving (or birding or fishing or herping etc etc) an area. Because I knew there were both species in the area I was at least able to put two and two together after the event and realise what I'd been looking at. Had I seen either species before I'd have probably known straight away but if I hadn't done any reading I'd probably never have realised a second species existed in NSW.

No comments: