Monday, September 24, 2012

Escaping over the hedge

Living on a small intensively gardened island can result in some magnificient sights and some remarkable escapees livening up strange places. The other day I noticed this earth bank holding some pink decoration.

Untitled

Closer inspection revealed a host of Cyclamen flowering. Cyclamen hederifolium is a european native (historically known as Sowbread, brilliantly, in the UK as its tubers were beloved pig fodder) but I think these jumped the hedge from the garden behind.

"wild" cyclamen

Hederifoloum means ivy-leaved but confusingly these are actually growing amongst ground dwelling ivy and are pretty much leafless at present.


Despite my best efforts I couldn't quite do justice to their bizarre stems growing diagonally out of the vertical bankside. I did however make sure to capture this white specimen....

"wild" cyclamen

Another day, another road, another botanical treat.....

No comments: