Monday, March 21, 2011

the other Stangeria

Long time readers may remember a cycad post about the awe-inspiring lightning-deflecting soul-protecting Stangeria eriopus. Those of you who do (and/or those of you who are already cycad aware) will recall that Stangeria is a monotypic genus (ie it has one species only in it). So how can I title a post "the other Stangeria"?

Well here's another Stangeria....
stangeria eriopus3

lets compare and contrast with the last one....
stangeria eriopus1

I think we can agree that the two look rather different. The thing with Stangeria is that there are two forms of it, the last one I posted is known as "the forest form" whereas the little one up top is the "grassland form". The name gives you a clue as to the reason for the difference. This little chap evolved with no shade to bask in and annual fires to deal with. I've seen it suggested that the two retain their differing characteristics when grown in identical conditions. I've also heard it said they are environmentally determined. I suspect its a combination of both. Whilst they appear so different I'm unaware of anyone trying to split them.

stangeria eriopus2
a macro of an emerging leaf.....

stangeria eriopus1
and the base of Stangeria showing the top of its carrot shaped caudex. The species name "eriopus" means wooly foot and you can sort of see why...

No comments: