Thursday, May 20, 2010

Orchidelerium part I

Whilst Zick has been throwing out some spectacular posts of both wild and domestic orchids, yours truly has also been out and about on the trail of the orchidaceae. Specifically here on the island we've got a little nature reserve that constitutes a lane bordered by a number of tiny fields maintained in the traditional centuries old way and hence loaded with orchids, I've been visiting and waiting. Unless I missed something these are the first of the 4 species in the fields to let loose.....

looseflowered orchid1

This is Anacamptis laxiflora, the loose-flowered orchid. Its not found on mainland Britain at all so this is the first time I've seen it. I really rather like it. Like a lot of European orchids this one likes damp, unimproved grassland and it seems to be present in good numbers.

looseflowered orchid2

In addition to the flowers not being as tightly held as the Dactylorhiza species I've noticed that this one seems to grow in a slightly more scattered way than the Dactylorhiza which, when present seem to often form relatively dense patches. I wonder if this is an optical illusion caused by the more delicate flowers. 1 down, 3 to go. Enjoy.

No comments: