Friday, December 11, 2009

multicoloured redwoods

When we got the chance to plant a little arboretum, the redwoods and other primitive things featured heavily - 12 or so years since the first plants went in here's a few pics (some of these plants are a lot younger than 12 though). Some of the images are bigger than others as they just didn't downsize and retain any detail I'm afraid. So this is the standard Giant Sequoia, Sequoiadendron giganteum in the arboretum as a colour control.....

sequoiadendron

and this is Sequoiadendron giganteum "greenpeace" which, unsurprisingly is green....

sequoiadendron greenpeace

but this is my favourite form in our collection Sequoiadendron giganteum "hazel steel". I found 2 of these in a nurseries discount clearance section for 4 quid. nice! The tree itself.....

hazelsteel2

A close up on the fabulous blue needles....

hazelsteel

We're not the only ones with a Sequoiadendron taste though. I spotted this in a front garden down the street which I believe is either S. giganteum pendula or barbarits requiem.

pendula

If it is either of those trees, a front garden is probably not the ideal place for it but who am I to judge?

1 comment:

Sally said...

Very nice! Wish I could grow them here, but with -23C this past week, I guess not.

By the way, dir you hear about the new carnival, House of Herps?? You'd be a great contributor for it...