Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things I love about digital (part 378)

I don't think there is any question that the move to digital has revolutionised wildlife photography. Instant playback for example is a huge advantage when we're underwater (where shooting conditions are vastly more difficult) allowing a photographer to make sure they got the shot. On land, a huge advantage of digital is that it costs nothing to try something and delete it if it doesn't work. This has led to photographers of all ability levels trying things and getting shots. This is a small understated example of that. This peacock was sat on my folk's white buddleia (its featured here before). at a height of about 7 and a 1/2 feet and as you can see its a particularly nice, untouched specimen.

peacock2

As it was sat on the top of the flower I simply stood tall reached over the top of it, pointing my camera straight down and without looking shot a couple of pictures on what I thought might be good settings. The shot above was a little too tight, clipping a wing (although I kind of like the tightness of the frame) and with a little blur on the right wing. So then I tried again and got this.

peacock

Now this isn't a rare animal or one I couldn't have ever got a shot of otherwise but it is a pretty good shot I wouldn't have ever got otherwise (and if someone is in a jungle birding somewhere like the Philippines or South America being willing and able to try something like this could capture something significant no-one else would get).

1 comment:

jason said...

Dazzling butterfly!

I'm with you 100% on digital. I shot film for a long time--and I can't count how many rolls I ruined or wasted.