Thursday, July 19, 2007

The big mystery revealed

So....the most hotly awaited revelation since....well I don't know when...but it could be bigger than the result of the Next Food Network Star (vote Amy please - I'm hooked on FN so I may as well watch someone I like) on sunday. Yes I'm talking about the identity of the mystery beastie alluded to in this post. Here is the image you were guessing on.....

mystery beastie

So amidst all, well both, the guesses Neil got it right. Yes for those of you playing at home it was a decorator crab. These chaps cover themselves in things like algae and sponges as a form of camouflage and are either very easy to see (when adjusting their dress) or pretty much impossible to see (the rest of the time). To ease things for those having trouble I've outlined the body and eyes in red and the legs in yellow.

mystery beastie reveal

Well done those of you who got it right. More underwater naturalism 101 soon.

2 comments:

T. Beth said...

Wow, I would have never seen it if you hadn't outlined it!

Neil said...

Where do I cash in my chips???

Oh yeah, awesome photo by the way. I'd love to see a decorator crab in the wild some day.