Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Our ducks

This is our year-round resident duck species down here; the White-Cheeked Pintail (Anas bahamensis bahamensis). I was somewhat surprised to learn there are 2 other races in South America and the Galapagos as its mainly known as a Caribbean duck whose islands habitat makes them vulnerable. We have a flock of about a 100 on the main pond on the island and they're often the only ducks I see. We do get the blue winged teal and I have also seen biggish groups of (and duclings of) Ruddy ducks too. I suspect the habitat is good but out of the way so perhaps big winds in migration could put down a few other species.

wcpintail

In the meantime I'll keep trying for better photos of these guys. They tend to stay quite far out leaving the shallower waters to the yellowlegs and stilts. This one pulled himself up on a drowned tree and sat perfectly for me. Readers in less tropical climes shouldn't be too surprised to see one themselves as these guys are popular in collections and not adverse to making their escape.

No comments: