Saturday, June 24, 2006

Camellia japonica(?)

I took this photo of a Camellia japonica type cultivar in the Royal Park at Greenwich. I was attending a course for work and our accommodation allowed me to have an early morning walk through the park and gardens before breakfast.

DSCF0038

Royal Parks and gardens are excellent places to look at cultivated plants because historically they often got new species or forms before anyone else so you can sometimes find really big and old specimens of unusual plants.

They are also excellent places to see wildlife in the city. Greenwich's has its own deer herd and some excellent wild bird life (I heard a lot of great spotted woodpeckers) as well as some rather unusual plastic (ie domestic) ducks.

Anyway back to the photo - I really like the composition of this piece which is entirely down to the plants growth really.

No comments: