Monday, December 03, 2012

The musket on the feeders

I'd first seen him the previous day. As I sat in a chair at my parents I was aware of a darkening on the window to my left, looked up and met his eye. A dainty little male sparrowhawk sat atop the neighbour's hedge. A day later I looked up and in he came, subtle as a brick. I can't help but feel this is an optimistic spot from which to try and catch small birds feeding on our birdfeeders.


sprawk4

I know other people have seen Accipter hawks astride feeders, everyone's favourite sciencechimp Julie Zickefoose for example. Nonetheless the brazenness of it astonished me. He hopped down to the bird bath.

sprawk3

We have a protective film on our windows designed to obscure them and minimise bird strikes. Nonetheless I'm guessing he could see enough to know someone was watching. I'm assuming the white splodges on his back indicate that he's a juvenile. Don't quote me on that. I do however know he's a he - the reddish barring is indicative of that and ye olde englishe name for a male sprawk is a musket which wikipedia tells me is not a firearms reference but a derivative of latin and ye olde frenche words for "a fly". I like such intricacies of language. It gives me pleasure to know that once upon a time people cared enough about male sparrowhawks to come up with a specific name for them other than "male sparrowhawk".

sprawk1

Don't dunk that tail! He had a spin around and a good old look at the whole garden as though trying to get a handle on the shape of things (this part of the garden is full of (now not-so) dwarf conifers creating a Sprawk slalom course. It reminded me of those shots you see of a sportsman walking around an empty stadium taking everything in. Unsurprisingly no-one came to the feeders during this period. My dad's comment at this point was one of surprise at how small he was close-up. What we believe to be his mother also lurks these parts leaving lumps of woodpigeon, collared dove and on one particularly awesome occasion one of the moorhens that frequent our pond (taken in front of me) scattered across the grass.


A wonderful 10 minutes we shared; me, my father and the musket. I'm sure he'll reappear soon enough.

1 comment:

Dr Tracy said...

They are well socialized, having been raised in our home as members of our
own family in order for them to become ready to be a member of yours.
They are quite comfortable around all ages, including the elderly and young children.
When you purchase a bird from Us, we are committed to offering lifetime support and guidance to you and your family.

Hand Raised Parrots for Sale, Macaw Parrots for Sale
Macaws are playful and active and they have excited personalities to go along with their sizes.
But this also makes them very challenging pets. They do have the ability to say words and mimic
our speech but it is not as clear as some other pet bird species.
Because they are so intelligent, macaws can be trained. You can start when your pet bird is young,
and work on hand-feeding, teaching your bird to talk or sing, and training your macaw not to nip, bite, or scream.
Text or call +1(512) 643-7439


MACAW PARROTS
Macaw Parrots For Sale

blue macaw for sale

blue and goald macaw breeder

Scarlet Macaw

defferent types of macaw available for sale

blue headed macaw for sale

parrots for sale

macaw for sale near me

red bellied macaw

Text or call +1(512) 598-8125