Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blackfoots

A little something for the connoisseurs amongst you. Many of you will have seen the more commonly photographed species of clownfish or anemonefish (genera Amphiprion and Premnas) - I'm talking about (for example) "nemo" and his ilk either in photos, on tv, or at public aquaria (or indeed private aquaria - many of the 29 odd species are now bred in captivity by pros, enterprising local communities and skilled amateurs and are available cheaply and sustainably for the home fishkeeper[incidentally all those links are awesome but the  purposely produced designer ORA clowns are not to my taste]). This however is a little rarer - this is the Maldivian endemic blackfoot anemonefish (Amphiprion nigripes).

blackfoot clowns2

You can just about make out the black belly that gives these guys their common name in these photos. These  have a very, very crisp white and I have to say I find them rather vibrant and beautifully coloured. If I were setting up another reef tank this is probably the species I'd go for. Ecologically they are essentially similar to all clownfish; these are hanging out in what I think is a bubbletip anemone as a pair - they are closer in size than many male female clown pairs; the female being slightly larger.

blackfoot clown1

I had actually thought I'd featured a load of anemone fish on this blog but it turns out I haven't (or the search function is flawed again). Below is what has featured previously (with more to come as a result of the discovery of these gaps):
Tomato clown Amphiprion frenatus
Clark's anemonefish Amphiprion clarkii
Orange Skunk clown Amphiprion sandaracinos

No comments: