Tuesday, December 08, 2009

A funny coincidence.

So remember how I was pondering the vagaries of listing as a result of my (failed, multiple) attempts at twitching a vagrant american duck (and national first) at a time when I didn't have blue tit on my list? Well yesterday as I passed the reservoir I noticed some birders parked up and when I stopped a kindly gentleman pointed to something hidden in the bushes which eventually resolved itself into this:

lesser scaup2

Lesser scaup, Aythya affinis, although I prefer the colloquial name Little Bluebill (according to wikipedia). So I got my lost yank duck after all and still with no blue tit on my list.

lesser scaup

Just then a flock of long-tailed tits flew past into the surrounding trees and with them was this little chap.

BT

Not the best photos of either species but a fabulous coincidence n'est-ce pas?

No comments: