Friday, November 07, 2008

Solitary Sandpiper

I've seen a few solitary sandpipers since I saw my first the other week. I only see one at any site though which leads to the obvious question - is that the origin of the name?

solitary sandpiper

I'd just waded through that puddle when he flew in and landed behind me. i find the very methodical deliberate way in which waders wade fascinating. I took about 6 more shots in the time it decided where to put that right leg but none were quite as nice as this initial moment of indecision.

4 comments:

Zoƫ said...

Fabulous shot!

Caroline said...

I watched a Solitary prowling in a creek just like you describe. I was bird counting for an International Migratory Bird Day project in mid-May. Except that I was in the Black Hills of South Dakota at the time...they seem to have a wide range if you are seeing them there and I am seeing them here!

Hugh Griffith said...

One of my favourite shorebirds. It's always a treat to see one. Very nice picture!

Modesto Viegas said...

Very good shot!!!