Monday, October 13, 2008

Echoes

A while ago I wrote a post about how cool it would be if we all planted a few more fruit trees and shared the wealth that resulted. Last week a friend dropped by with these:

stillifeavocados

Avocados are such a weird fruit I think - the taste, the maturation time and that huge stone. As I sit here tucking into my home made guacamole, I can't help but think of one of the original avocado fan - Megatherium americanum.


megatherium

This is a harvard specimen of a related sloth Lestodon armatus. As big as it is - the idea of swallowing and passing that huge hard avocado stone is somewhat eyewatering.


Edited to correct the sloth id.

2 comments:

Isis the Scientist said...

You know, Tai, normally I am not a fan of the posts involving poo discussion. However, this was well-played. Very well-played, my friend.

tai haku said...

Glad you enjoyed it.

Sooner or later all nature blogs end up talking about scat, disgusting unidentified corpses or both.