Sunday, January 06, 2008

Firing my gun up in the air and going AAAH

Danny: Keanu Reeves goes to shoot Swayze but he can't cos he loves him sooo much an' he's firing his gun up in the air and he's like "AAH!" Ever fired your gun up in the air and gone "AAAH?"

Angel: No, I have not ever fired my gun up in the air and gone "AAAH!"

Hot Fuzz; 2006




Why was I firing my "gun" up in the air and going "AAAH' ?

Well it all started on the day of our Christmas Bird Count. I was busily counting white cheeked pintails when they errupted (and I thought oops I've spooked the ducks) and then with an audible bang a huge peregrine hit the water right in the middle of the flock - a lovely big slaty black bird (I'm thinking female from size).


We had one soaring above on last year's count but this is only the 4th I've seen here and by far the best views down to 30 yards or so. I think it bagged a bw teal and then flew off (my view of its feet was obscurred as it flew away but I think it got something). I stood watching slightly stunned with my digiscoping set-up stood useless by my side as the action unfolded and ended in seconds.

Then at the next location a big shaggy brown thing in a tree flew off and became a lovely chocolate brown and white osprey (my 3rd on island). It obligingly circled me a few times at close enough range for a decent shot with my digicam except there was a minor battery change issue which meant by the time I got ready to shoot the bird was flying out of digicam range and all I could do was shoot a lot of shots of the sky and go "AAAH!"

This is not the first time this has happened and the end result was a tipping point. I am now the proud owner of a Nikon d300 and Sigma 50-500mm lens. Exciting new pictorial results to follow. No thermalling raptor, flitting passerine, dragonfly or small reptile will be safe from me now.

In the meantime there may be an Osprey in this picture....let me know if you find it cos I can't.


"AAAH"

2 comments:

Patrick B. said...

Hot Fuzz is such an awesome movie. Much better than Point Break.

I'm in the market for a big lens... I have no clue what to get. Let me know how the Sigma works out for you.

tai haku said...

yarp.

will do.